Saturday, May 10, 2014

Elder Kaipo Tagaloa

When missionaries first go on a mission we have a much older and
experienced missionary assigned to "train" us and teach us the do's
and don't's of being a missionary. They have seen it all and are
there to help us out and teach us all they know. Well when I was being
trained it was as if we followed the theme of that one song "These
boots are made for walking..." because we walked, and we walked, and
we walked some more.
Because we walked for days, I was constantly kicking rocks and all
matter of items I could find on the side of the road and it seemed
like I was always looking at the ground. After several incidents of me
doing this, my trainer kindly advised me to stop. I thought he was
crazy but I took his advice not knowing the reason.

Now, it's been over a year later and I finally know the reason for his
advice. Let me share it with you.
First "kicking rocks." This is a sign of someone who is bored out of
their mind. Who has no purpose to life in the current moment. Is alone
or sad. Is not showing interest in others or life around them. And one
who doesn't show interest or care in what we are supposed to be doing.
It takes away from our purpose.
Second "looking at the ground." God has given us so many creations in
life for us to enjoy. If we are always looking down we will miss out
on these gifts He has for us. His best creation was us, His children.
If we keep our faces towards the ground we will walk right by the
people God has put in our path to talk with and bless. We will miss
these opportunities to share what we know with others.

As we kick rocks we distance ourselves from others and exclude the
message that we can share. And equally when we keep our heads facing
the ground we miss out on so many opportunities God gives to us, that
we literally walk right by the people we are intended to meet.

What I have learned is that if we follow the footsteps of our "master
trainer" Jesus Christ, we will be able to hold our heads up high and
we won't stumble across life's rocky roads.

Elder Tagaloa


No comments:

Post a Comment